Book Heaven

Where the world of books and life intersect

Name:
Location: South Amboy, New Jersey

I am deeply involved in trying to solve the discrepancy between being interested in zen and trying to acquire all the things I've been accumulating

Friday, August 26, 2005

Bring On Those Leeches!

It's a well known fact that I can't bear to part with any form of printed matter -- books, magazines, newspapers, -- once they come into my possession, their life is spared. The one exception is medical books of which I am very fond. I have been passing these along to my wife's heart surgeon who is also a lover of books and a sometimes frequenter of the Strand.

I am also always cutting medical articles out of The New York Times and there was a real beauty in yesterday's paper entitled "Age Old Cures Like the Maggot, Get U.S. Hearing" by Gardiner Harris. It seems that in these increasingly high tech times, one disease cure is decidedly low tech. Well known in medical lore, it was always presumed the leech went the way of the horse and wagon but leeches are being used today by high tech surgeons like microsurgeons. This is the part I really loved: Leeches are also extraordinarily sensitive to proper blood flow and so can offer immediate feedback on how well surgery went, said Dr. Bruce Minkin, a hand surgeon in Asheville, N.C. "It won't attach if there's not good arterial blood coming in, and sometimes that tells me that I need to go back in ," Dr. Minkin said.

The part about maggots was even more interesting. Maggots it seems can clean up wounds that will not heal with normal techniques. They give an example that would be hard to top:

And during World War I, a doctor described seeing two soldiers who had been left wounded on the battlefield for days. When their clothes were taken off, thousands of maggots were found in their wounds. Once the maggots were removed, the doctor was astonished to find clean, pink living flesh. That doctor, William Bayer of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, became maggots' modern medical champion.

Maybe if you missed out on raising ostriches you can get in on the ground floor of maggot farming. Now that the government has convened a two day panel of medical advisers to regulate the industry, can speculation be far behind. Maggot futures here we come!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger cholcont said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ##KEYWORD## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)lower cholesterol

12:17 AM  
Blogger whatschd said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ##KEYWORD## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)reduce cholesterol

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home