Book Heaven

Where the world of books and life intersect

Name:
Location: South Amboy, New Jersey

I am deeply involved in trying to solve the discrepancy between being interested in zen and trying to acquire all the things I've been accumulating

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Son of Maltese Falcon

In a previous entry I bemoaned the lack of any supplemental material in the new Maltese Falcon reissue but I've been positively gorging myself on the articles and appreciations that are scattered about the internet. Right about now I'm kind of disappointed that I passed up that Hammett encyclopedia (Greenwood Press?) that I spotted in the Strand bookstore a couple of years back. It was only half the $80 list price but I guess I was in a miserly mood that day.

I was positively shocked to read in Richard Laymon's Library of Congress speech that there are some 2,000 variants between the Knopf text and the five part Black Mask version of The Maltese Falcon. Laymon mentions that there is only one complete set of Black Masks in private hands, and I'm pretty sure I know where they reside. The sad part though is that even if you owned them yourself, you'd have to think twice about subjecting those issues to all that page-turning to read them. Forget about trying to compare the Black Mask version to the Knopf version.

In this age of Director's Cuts and endless supplemental material of dubious merit on dubious DVDs, wouldn't it be nice to have that Black Mask version to read? The stuff that dreams are made of.

2 Comments:

Blogger alena said...

Hey, I have enjoyed...your blog is informative - even entertaining.

I have a halloween sites. They pretty much covers costumes and masks related stuff.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to bookmark you.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Connor Wilson said...

Every year my son Dylan and I have been building our Halloween animatronic display. This year we added 12 new figures and my wife had been making the clothes etc. but then I clued in that Halloween Costumes were the ideal solution - ya, ok I'm slow but...This year is really cool because we've done an HP Lovecraft display that I'm sure he'd appreciate but I'm not so sure he'd approve of this - The Necronomicon - Is it just me or is that just plain goofy ? Anyway, everybody is doing their own Haunted House thing now but hey - it's fun and if you've got kids I really suggest you try it yourself if you haven't already. It's a nice change from the usual Christmas Lights routine and a lot of scaaarrry fun. Happy Halloween everybody.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home