Book Heaven

Where the world of books and life intersect

Name:
Location: South Amboy, New Jersey

I am deeply involved in trying to solve the discrepancy between being interested in zen and trying to acquire all the things I've been accumulating

Monday, December 13, 2004

Medical Stuff

Wow, I can't believe it's been more than two weeks since I've written anything here. As usual, I've got lots of stuff swirling around in my head, but little time to make much sense of it. I had been deeply immersed in watching a bunch of DR.KILDARE tv shows when I started getting some intermittent stomach pains which is really unusual for me since my stomach has done its job quietly all these years with little notice that it is even there.

I probably would have pooh-poohed the doctor's recommendation that I get a CT scan except I was halfway through a book with the comical but equally terrifying title, I Had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse? by Suzy Becker (Workman, 2004), author of the classic All I Need To Know I Learned From My Cat. Now for all you authors out there, the brain book is a good one to know about if a publisher balks at your request to put something other than words in a book (a map, a doodle, etc). Becker's book is jammed with every conceivable manner of drawing, doodle, and odd thingamajig that you can conceive of. It takes most of the edge off the terror in her story, and still the book manages to come in at a righteous $19.95 sticker price (yes, this is a hardcover).

After I went to the doctor, I stopped off in Barnes & Noble and discovered another book to add to my must buy list. I don't think many of you will be adding this one to your list, but don't say I didn't alert you to this one. At 1800 pages, I was expecting the 2005 CURRENT Medical Diagnosis and Treatment to have a hefty pricetag even though it is a paperbound edition. Medical tomes such as this are never cheap but the $59.95 price tag seems like a bargain to me. My earlier thinking that I might have an irritated appendix led me to do some research which quickly reaches the conclusion that appendicitis is one of the more difficult ailments to diagnose, so of course I read the section on appendicitis in this book and learned a lot. Actually, if you could read this book from cover to cover and absorb even a fraction of the material in it (say maybe learning the clinical diagnosis and patient management advice for only 250 of the 1,000 common diseases and disorders covered here), I'd wager a guess you could pass yourself off as a doctor at any party. Why, I'd bet you'd even have people asking for your business card. At which point of course, you'd have to say that you're sorry, but you're not accepting any new patients at this time. I will be buying this book!

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

The thing is that if I read about those disease, I'd be convinced that I had every single one of them in its most virulent form.

I hope your stomach troubles are over by now.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home