Book Heaven

Where the world of books and life intersect

Name:
Location: South Amboy, New Jersey

I am deeply involved in trying to solve the discrepancy between being interested in zen and trying to acquire all the things I've been accumulating

Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Man in Black

I was never really a big fan of Johnny Cash but I'm more than making up for it now. When I bought a Super Audio CD player, one of the discs that I bought was Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. Now of course I've got to purchase Michael Streissguth's companion book, Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison: The Making of a Masterpiece (Da Capo, 2004), a very thorough look at the making of this classic album. I could shelve it next to the other two Johnny Cash books that I bought recently -- Cash An American Man by Bill Miller, and Cash by the Editors of Rolling Stone -- but I'll probably park it next to two other volumes that it is similar to -- A Love Supreme: The Story of John Coltrane's Signature Album by Ashley Kahn, and The Making of Kind of Blue: Miles Davis and His Masterpiece by Eric Nisenson. All three books have very detailed text sections and extensive photos and set a very high standard for books of this type. Also on the Cash front is a lengthy article in the October 2004 Vanity Fair about Cash's unlikely relationship with Rick Rubin, co-founder of Def Jam records. David Camp's article called "American Communion," looks at their decade long collaboration which resulted in some memorable music at the end of a long and productive career. Oh and I even found yet another Cash book lurking in the stacks -- the Michael Streissguth edited Ring of Fire: The Johnny Cash Reader, a collection of thirty-two articles and essays about the man in black.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home