Book Heaven

Where the world of books and life intersect

Name:
Location: South Amboy, New Jersey

I am deeply involved in trying to solve the discrepancy between being interested in zen and trying to acquire all the things I've been accumulating

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Duh SOX!

It isn't until October (if at all) that my thoughts turn to baseball. This year though, with my beloved Red Sox in contention, I faithfully watched most of their clashes with the dreaded Yankees. With a payroll that bloated, the Yankees should be able to just stare you into submission, and when they defy all odds and stumble, well, there's just not many experiences in life that are quite that satisfying. At a fifteen million dollar salary, Kevin Brown delivered each of his winning games at a cost of $1,500,000. Contrast that with the Sox' Curt Schilling, who, notebook in hand, is the consummate professional, bringing a supernatural air to the position. It isn't too hard to imagine him in the off season in some fantastic laboratory huddled behind an array of bubbling beakers, test tubes and retorts, inventing something even more fantastic than Flubber. The Yankee pitchers in comparison would have a hard time with a three ingredient recipe!

Luckily, I haven't succumbed to the lure of sports books. I've got only a handful, and the only baseball one I could immediately lay my hands on is Red Sox vs Yankees: The Great Rivalry by Harvey and Frederic J. Frommer. Some of the books are tempting though and I just hope that whatever vulnerability I have to buy any of them disappears when the Series ends. Don't get me started!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cap'n Bob Napier said...

I'm with you, Andy. Du Sox all duh way! The way they're playing now you'd think they were under the magic spell of the Bambino, not the curse. Eight errors in two games and still they win. Indeed, they must have an angel in the outfield to win six straight games over what are on paper two better clubs (if only for their won-loss records). Let's face it, the Sox have blundered around the bases, fielded like they are wearing cement gloves, and made mental mistakes a kid on the short bus would avoid. Yet they win. I don't expect them to do better than one win in St. Louis (oddsmakers take note), but that's okay. After 86 years they deserve to clinch in front of a home town crowd.

I would probably enjoy a lot of baseball books, but I don't read them. Except for BALL FOUR, I can't recall reading any others.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home